Candice Chilton was diagnosed with Stage IV Breast Cancer at 28.

Feeling defeated

I know i havent posted in awhile so heres a cliffnotes version until i feel up to regular posting. Sep 28th I had a double mastectomy where they took out all the breast tissue and implanted tissue expanders. The chest area wasnt that painful but I developed a pinched nerve in my neck that extends pain all the way from my shoulder to the tips of my fingers and has caused loss of function in my right hand. I've been in so much pain I've been hibernating in my room.
Last week at my follow up with the plastic surgeon I found out my right expander wasn't taking and I needed a new operation so Friday I went back under the knife to remove the skin that died and put a smaller expander in that might take better. So far so good! I still have my pinched nerve which is holding me hostage but maybe this will be the last of surgery for awhile. 
At the follow up with my gen surgeon I was informed that I have stage 3 breast cancer. They took out 12 lymphnodes and of those 7 had cancer which stages it at 3.
I had my meeting with the oncologist this morning. He did exactly what we thought he would do - he ordered a blood test to look for cancer and tumor cells in the blood, a pet scan to scan my body tissue for cancer, and a ct scan to make sure there's no cancer in the brain. 
The course of action now is chemo. I have to do an iv chemo treatment every 3 weeks for 6 months. I will lose my hair, be tired, the whole thing but they tell me meds have come a long way and some people handle chemo really well so I'm crossing my fingers. Chemo won't start for 3 weeks while I heal from surgery. Once the chemo is done, they will retest me and see if I need radiation but no matter what at the end of the chemo they'll put me on a estrogen blocking drug called tamoxifin for 5 years.
Tomorrow I go for blood tests and a follow up with the plastic surgeon. Friday I go to have a chemo port installed in my chest and Tuesday I go for my ct scan. I'm still waiting for my pet scan appt...
Will keep in touch! 

No comments

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.