Candice Chilton was diagnosed with Stage IV Breast Cancer at 28.

Setting up for radiation!

Hello world! :) Day 3 at home and I'm feeling pretty accomplished! I have a doctors appointment every day this week which means getting up and getting for the world each day. I have succumb to the fact that for the next 8 weeks I will be living in skirts. I hate skirts. *sigh* but this stupid brace covers my pants line which means if I wear jeans, button them, get into my suit of armor on theres no way to unbutton the jeans to go to the bathroom. I tried yoga pants and on special days, when I just cant find the stomach to wear another skirt, I suppose they'll work but it takes ten minutes to get back under the brace at the right pants line so they don't fall off my ass :)
I'm so thankful for so many things right now. Today mom and momo took me to payless to buy some flats. Here in Vegas, in the 100 degree plus heat I've been living in flip flops and what a difference a few months in the hospital makes because now I'm out and about I am the crazy girl wearing skirts and flip flops in Vegas winter (not that its cold lol but you still get weird looks) and my love for heels has back fired. I discovered I didn't have a single pair of closed toed flats!! My momo Betty Stafford bought me three pairs of beautiful shoes that I can actually walk in ♥.
After that we went to Fashion Bug where mom (@Kim Fletcher) bought me a new skirt and THEN we went to SuperCuts and got my hair cut. I don't want to post pics yet because I think I can style it better than the hairdresser did but its an a line bob really short in the back and long in the front. Pics coming soon!
Did I mention this was all done after two doctor appointments? I got marked for radiation today. The people were so nice and gentle. The appointment was easy, I just laid on a cat scan table while they took pics and they marked my body for the machine with a sharpie and covered the marks with waterproof stickers. There was one semi-tattoo mark that they stabbed me in the chest with a needle but that was it. My first radiation treatment is tomorrow at 1. They are radiating from the top of my neck to the middle of my shoulder blades not only to prevent the tumor from coming back but also because they couldn't find clean bone in my hip to replace in my neck bone so they want to kill the cancer in the new bone graphs. I will go to radiation every day for 3 weeks. The side effects will include fatigue, sunburn, sore throat, and of course ya know, poisoning my body lol but the cancer won't come back in that spot and thats all that matters. I'm prepared to fight! I am a little discouraged it might slow down my voice coming back - which it still hasn't done yet but I'm trying to be patient.
After the markings we went to another office to consult with the radio-oncologist himself. My mom and momo had never met him and we had questions about radiation, nutrition, side effects, prognosis, etc. Dr. Dean spent 45 min with us and answered every question and every side effect and was matter a fact. The last time I talked to this man I was extremely depressed at his attitude. I was emotional and alone in the hospital room and he came off to me as if he was there to tell me that statistics are I have two years to live and his job is to make me comfortable and prevent bone tumors in what little time I have left. That his job wasnt to save my life just make it more comfortable. I was devastated. Today he re-explained. He said what he meant was that radiation can't cure cancer. His job can't save my life. His job is to get in there, stabilize the horrible things the cancer has already done and then get the hell out of the way so that the chemo doc, the guy that can save my life, can get in there and do its job and softly said he was there to remind us that the statistics are metastatic breast cancer patients have a two year life span, thats the rule but there are plenty exceptions...but as a doctor he has to state the rules, not the exceptions blah blah. Realistic but....
Anyway for 3 days out of the hospital I feel like things are quickly going toward normal....and I'll report on my first day of radiation tomorrow! ♥

No comments

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.