Candice Chilton was diagnosed with Stage IV Breast Cancer at 28.

First Chemo!

So everyone is asking me how I'm doing since my first chemo treatment and the answer is so far so good! My chemo was Wed and after an hour wait in the waiting room and an argument over co-pays, we finally got in to see the doc. Well, actually the docs assistant because he was out last week. She prescribed me two anti-nausea drugs, Compazine to try first and if after I take that and if I'm still sick, to take Zofran.
Then I walked to the back and picked a recliner to sit in. A nurse came over, accessed my port by sticking a tack looking needle in it and proceeded to give me an IV of saline and premeds including a heavy dose of Zofran. West sat with me and held my hand as they did the needle and premeds but I was disappointed when they told me he couldn't stay for the two hours because it was a HIPPA voilation :( but he was allowed to check on me as often as he wanted so he went back and forth from the lobby.
The first drug they gave me, they told me straight out they call it the Red Devil. It's actually called Adriamycin but its known as the red devil because it causes all the side effects: hair loss, vomiting, fatigue, and general crappy feeling. That lasted about 45 minutes in an IV drip and then they gave me something called Cytoxin which lasted another 45 minutes. According to Livestrong.com:
Adriamycin is an anti-tumor drug that attacks the part of a cancer cell responsible for synthesizing RNA and DNA, according to Chemocare.com. Cytoxan is an alkylating agent, and as such works by breaking DNA strands while the cancer cell is in its resting phase before cell division, according to the Core Curriculum for Oncology Nursing.
I felt nothing different during the infusions...and after it was over West and I went to Subway and I ate an entire meatball sandwich lol I hung out the rest of the afternoon with Momo because I was afraid of being alone and violently throwing up but I felt fine Wed night, felt fine Thursday and now today, today I felt just ok. I woke up fine but West helped me take a shower and after the shower, ugh it felt like I ran a marathon and I slept for two hours after. The rest of the day today I just watched West play video games, settled in front of the TV and just took it easy but I can't say the tiredness is any different than the way I felt during radiation nights...
Tomorrow will be the test. My Aunt went through chemo for ovarian cancer and the third day was the worst for her, thats when it really hit her, so we'll see how I feel tomorrow!

No comments

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.